The holidays are a joyous time of year to celebrate with family and friends. Here are some tips on keeping your pets out of the vet’s office this holiday season!
Foreign body and Toxin ingestions are COMMON!! Keep the following out of your pets reach… this includes tabletops, counters, and gifts that may be put under the tree!
- Chocolate cakes, cookies, candies: Particularly those containing dark or baking chocolate varieties.
- Macadamia Nuts: Can cause a temporary hind limb paralysis
- Foreign body ingestions: Small ornaments, decorations, toys, tinsel and ribbon (esp. cats), bones after dinners or in trash cans.
- Poinsettia plants: Vomiting if leaves are chewed
- Stomach and intestinal upset/Pancreatitis: Avoid feeding table scraps from high fat meats (prime rib cuts, steaks), leftover bones-chicken, pork/beef rib, lamb, kal-bi, etc… and ensuring that trash cans containing such substances are taken out regularly and have a secure cover to discourage break in’s.